The Colony TX Background and History
from a variety of sources
The history and background of The Colony Texas is found in a variety of internet sources compiled and cited below. If you have written or would like to author your unique Historical Perspective of the birth and growth of the city of The Colony Texas and desire to see it published here, please email us.
About The Colony TX Background and History Commentary
The Colony Texas Background and History Commentary contained on this website should not be taken as fact. It is a compilation of other sources (with direct links) designed to provide you with useful information and insight on a wonderful family oriented city that began in the mid 1970's. We are not Colony TX history experts and have made no attempt to discern facts versus a stretch or embellishment by an author.
A History of The Colony TX from the
Official City of The Colony TX Website
A History of The Colony TX. Bridges Settlement, named after William Bridges, was once located within what is now The Colony. Bridges came to the area at age 23 from Tennessee. Bridges Settlement, the first settlement in Denton County, was later known as Stewartsville, named after Willis Stewart, one of the principals in the Texas Agricultural, Commercial, and Manufacturing Company. W. C. Peters was a principal founder of the company. Forerunner of the company was the Peters' colony which embraced in whole or part of these counties: Grayson, Collin, Dallas, Ellis, Tarrant, Denton, Cooke, Montague, Wise, Parker, Hood, Erath, Palo Pinto, Jack, Clay, Wichita, Archer, Young, Stephens, Eastland, Callahan, Shackelford, Baylor and Wilbarger. The legislature established the Peters colony in order to attract emigrants to settle there.
In 1847 the land company, Texas Emigration & Land Co., appointed English-born Henry O. Hedgecoxe as land agent. Unpopular with the colonists, Hedgecoxe's office was raided in 1852 by a group planning to seize the land records and depose Hedgecoxe. Hedgecoxe escaped with many of the records, and the armed raiders confiscated the remaining papers and burned down the office located at the south end of today's The Colony on Office Creek. The incident is known in Texas history as the Hedgecoxe War of 1852. Confusion concerning the validity of land claims by colonists in the Peters' Colony Settlement resulted in an act by the legislature in 1853 allowing colonists to file their claims directly with the General Land Office in Austin rather than through a land agent.
Peters' Colony Settlement was renamed Camey Settlement in the early 1900's. Camey Settlement consisted of a school, grocery store, and cotton gin in the 1940's. Stewart's Creek was named after one of the founding fathers of Peters' Colony Settlement. Some of the original colonists, including William Bridges, are buried in Bridges Cemetery located in the eastern part of today's The Colony. The cemetery is located on private property and not open to the public.
In 1969, Fox & Jacobs, land developers, purchased the land. Dave Fox of Fox & Jacobs envisioned a "dream city" patterned after Dallas specifications. The streets were named for original landowners and members of the crew working on infrastructure at the time. One street, John S. Yates Dr., was named for the winner of a local radio contest. The company started building homes in 1972 and averaged 100 homes per month. The first family moved into their home in 1974. By January, 1977, the area had over 5,000 residents and was incorporated. The name Colony was decided upon but had already been taken. Therefore, the name became The Colony. The first school built was Camey Elementary in 1977. First Baptist Church was the first church to break ground and the Stop 'n Go on FM 423 at South Colony Blvd. was the first business established.
A History of The Colony TX from the
The Colony Chamber of Commerce Website
History of The Colony TX. The Colony, Texas shares history unique to this part of the state. Colony is named in honor of the Peters Colony, a major organized colonization effort in 19th-century central Texas. W.S. Peters and 19 associates, half of them English, signed four colonization agreements with the Republic of Texas between 1841 and 1843, taking the name Texan Emigration and Land Company. They agreed to bring in 800 colonists, giving each newly arrived family 640 acres of land and enough food to last one year. Each single man received 320 acres and food for one year. The company received ten sections of land (6,400 acres) for every 100 settlers it brought into Texas.
Office Branch, which is now called Office Creek, was the site of the land office for 26 counties in the north Texas area. The principal settlements in the Peters Colony were in present Grayson, Collin, Denton, Dallas and Tarrant counties. These were called “The Colony at the Cross Timbers.” By June 1848, 635 colonists had been brought into the Peters Colony, and the contract was discontinued. The Colony of today began in 1973 as a Fox and Jacobs Inc. development near the intersection of State Highway 121 and FM 423, eight miles east of Lewisville. It is now an incorporated city with a population of approximately 36,500.
A History of The Colony TX Fire Dept
The Colony TX Fire Department Website
The Colony TX Fire Department Story
In early 1974 a group of citizens from this newly formed community recognized the immediate need for an emergency ready response team for fire and medical situations. After several meetings and training sessions the group became The Colony Volunteer Fire Department. This group of dedicated people were assisted by the Frisco Volunteer Fire Department and also by many citizens who were paid career firefighters for other communities.
Fox and Jacobs constructed a fire station at 4900 Blair Oaks Drive and presented it to the volunteers on July 4, 1976. Along with this project, a reserve pumper was acquired from the Dallas Fire Department and donated by Fox and Jacobs to the volunteers. This engine was formerly Dallas Attack Engine #23. It became affectionately known as "The General" because of its apparatus brand name, its age and time of active service with the city of Dallas. It's restoration was completed in 1998.
For many years a dedicated group of people got up at all hours of the night to see if they could help someone in need. Because that same undying dedication still exists in a few of our citizens, the volunteer program remains active today.
Time and circumstances change all things and so it was for the volunteer department. The need for both spouses to work, church, family and other social requirements, seemed to place the volunteer program at the bottom of most prospective firefighter's lists. It has become increasingly difficult to recruit people with the time to sacrifice some of their own basic needs for others. This is a very commonplace situation across our country, especially among the X generation.
Until 1977, the volunteer department was completely self-funded and self-governed. When The Colony, Texas became an incorporated city that year, it also acquired the oversight of the fire department. The city recognized the need for stronger leadership, specialized fire-fighting equipment and more positive control over an extremely high spirited group.
As the city continued to grow by leaps and bounds it was becoming apparent to city officials that the pressures and requirements that were being placed upon the volunteer staff were simply overwhelming. With the exception of 1 (one) free coke for each call responded to, the volunteer force continued to do their job without compensation.
In January 1981 the city hired its first professional Fire Chief. The fire chief's responsibilities included organizing the volunteers, the ordering of new equipment, the EMS program, the Emergency Management Team, the fire marshaling activities and the training of the volunteer personnel. Not to be misunderstood, the volunteers worked extremely hard in those times. They simply lacked a level of professional expertise while carrying out their duties.
In October of 1981 an assistant to the fire chief was hired to help relieve some of the administrative, operational and training duties that were becoming rather cumbersome for the Chief.
Volunteer response times for the department were very high during those days. The response times were often between 12 and 20 minutes for most emergencies. It was this realization, along with some other reasons, that caused the seated council at the time to approve the initial hiring of full time shift assigned firefighters.
There were 3 career firefighters hired in January 1982 and given shift assignments. They worked the standard 24 hour on duty and 48 hour off duty shift. One person responded alone with backup coming from the Captain, Fire Chief and hopefully from the volunteers. The current career staff consists of 12 individuals that were at one time volunteers for either The Colony or another city.
As the personnel were assigned to shift duties, the emergency response times immediately dropped to below 4 ½ minutes or less for most areas of the city. The exception to this was Wynnewood Peninsula. Today, 20 plus years later, response times remain between 2 minutes and 6 minutes for approximately 80 percent of The Colony. Hidden Cove Park , Wynnewood Peninsula , the western portion of Stewart's Peninsula , and the southern portion of Plano Parkway fall outside of the minimum 5 minute response time that is required by the ISO (fire insurance grading company). In 1982, the fire department began implementing the paramedic program to increase its service to the citizens of The Colony.
The department is attempting to ride the new wave of concentrated fire prevention along with high priority being placed on firefighter training for preparedness sake. All of this is done to raise the quality of life for every resident of The Colony, from the youngest to the most elderly. The quality of life in our city is a team effort by every city department.
A History of The Colony TX Public Library
The Colony TX Public Library Website
History of The Colony TX Public Library. The Colony Public Library, born of the efforts of a loyal group of volunteers, first opened its doors in February 1982 in a small, 1,985 square foot storefront facility that it shared with the Parks and Recreation Department. Ann Beckel served as the first Library Director, assisted by librarian Sandi Gehrke; the first president of the Friends of The Colony Public Library was Wanda Gillett.
In December 1984, the citizens of The Colony passed a bond issue to build the 9,025 square foot facility at 5151 N. Colony Blvd., which became the Library's home in August 1987.
Having outgrown that facility, in 2000, on the 18th anniversary of the Library's founding, the Library relocated to 6800 Main Street , where it shares the building with City Hall. The Library gained an additional 6,200 square feet, the ability to provide a large space for quiet study, a beautiful storytime area, and room for the collection and services to grow.
The Community Development Corporation funded the additional shelving, furnishings, and equipment for this new facility, as well as the relocation costs. A grant received from the Telecommunications Infrastructure Fund Board established the Library's public access computer network, providing T1 access to the internet, as well as access to MS Office 2000 programs, via 22 public access computers.
The Colony TX History from
The Handbook of Texas Online
Following Information Provided by Handbook of Texas Online, s.v. "," http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/TT/het3.html. It provides a good history but unfortunately the "current Colony information" is very outdated as The Colony TX has experienced significant growth since this article was written.
THE COLONY, TEXAS. The Colony is by Lake Lewisville near the intersection of State Highway 121 and Farm Road 423, eight miles east of Lewisville, fifteen miles northeast of the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport,qv and twenty-four miles north of downtown Dallas in southeastern Denton County. It is named after the Peters' colony.qv The Colony is on the site of the Hedgcoxe Warqv of 1852, in which armed settlers raided and burned the office of the Texas Emigration and Land Company. The community was established as a housing development by Fox and Jacobs, Incorporated, on some 3,000 acres in 1973. The few residents then occupying the land moved out, and the first twenty-seven new families moved into Fox and Jacobs's suburban, single-family homes in the fall of 1974. The developer established a municipal utilities district and secured services from the Lone Star Gas, Texas Power and Light, and Southwestern Bell Telephone companies. The residents organized a volunteer fire department. A homeowners' association initiated incorporation of The Colony in 1977, after negotiating a release of the land from the extraterritorial jurisdiction of the city of Frisco. In 1979 residents approved a charter that established a council-manager government with a seven-member city council. The Colony is served by two shopping centers, eight churches, and two newspapers, The Colony Courier and The Colony Leader. Lewisville Independent School District has built four elementary schools and a middle school in the town. In 1990 the population of The Colony was 22,113. The population reached 26,531 in 2000.
A History of The Colony TX from the
Wikipedia Online Website
Wikipedia is an interesting site but a word of caution: Anyone can author and modify information on Wiki.
History of The Colony Texas. The Colony is located inside the original Peters Colony lands, on the site of the Hedgcoxe War.
The Colony did not exist before 1969, when home developers Fox and Jacobs (owned by Centex) purchased most of the land located around State Highway 121 and Farm-to-Market Road 423. They planned the development of a new "dream city" modeled after the city of Dallas, consisting primarily of single family homes grouped as a "colony". The homes were served by a municipal utility district formed to bring water, electricity (via Texas Power and Light), cable television (via Lakeside CATV) and telephone service (via Southwestern Bell).
In 1976, one of the original homeowners associations petitioned the city of Frisco, Texas to remove the area from its extra-territorial jurisdiction. A vote was held in January 1977, and the City of The Colony was officially incorporated at that time (the name Colony was already in use, and thus the current name with the definitive article was chosen). The town has grown significantly in the past ten years.